Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SMI Peer Mentor
at Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
Work Location: Centro Esperanza 310 S. Extension Rd. Mesa, AZ 85210
The SMI Peer Mentor provides peer support services; serves as a member advocate; provides member information and peer support for members in an outpatient setting. The Peer Mentor performs a wide range of tasks to assist members in regaining control over their own lives and over their own recovery process. The Peer Mentor will role model competency in recovery and ongoing coping skills.
Able to be organized, have clear and understandable written and oral communication, demonstrate empathy and build positive rapport with the client population served, be knowledgeable about community resources, and adapt well to a crisis and high needs environment. Able to facilitate support groups for members. Assist in the facilitation of the Clinic Advisory Council (CAC) monthly meeting.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Bilingual in language appropriate to program, preferred.
- Daily access to reliable personal vehicle with proof of insurance and valid driver license.
- Demonstrate competency with computer-based documentation and behavioral health management systems.
- Be a person with a self-identified history of behavioral health need specific to the assigned behavioral health outpatient program and have the ability to demonstrate a minimum of 1 year of personal recovery and stability.
- Be free of pending and current legal directives and supervision.
- Demonstrate a minimum of 2 years sobriety.
Attend RBHA System Orientation, Crisis System Overview, Recovery Process, Co-Occurring Disorders, and Pharmacology within 3 months of hire.
Must have completed Peer Support training and be certified as a peer support specialist.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
A). Utilize personal and professional life experiences to provide peer support to clients served by the program.
- Provide, assist, and link clients to community resources.
- Offer encouragement and support to clients, as needed.
- Empower client with skills connected with activities of daily living, e.g. teaching and reinforcing budgeting, use of public transportation, social and leisure skills, grooming and personal hygiene skills, meal preparation skills, effective parenting, communication, etc.
- Provide clients with information about the agency and procedures, including the Peer Support Specialist role to assist them to successfully engage.
- Serve as bridge to ensure that the client and providers understand each other’s perspective and information.
- Provide non-judgmental, unconditional support to clients.
- Model effective coping techniques for clients.
- Participate and assist in providing a variety of support services for clients (i.e. support groups, family activities, etc.)
- Produce and maintain accurate and timely documentation.
B). Manage and monitor members referred to them by clinical team.
- Provide personal contact with member and members’ families.
- Accurately documents progress notes same day as service, not to exceed 24 hours; crisis documentation completed same day as service.
- Follow-up to service commitments, engagement, re-engagement, welfare checks, and appropriate discharge functions completed within required time period.
- Conducts outreach to consumers or family members/caregivers and the community, and acts as a liaison between consumers, family members/caregivers and community services providers.
C). Participate in a multi-disciplinary team in providing treatment for clients.
1. Communicate and coordinate services with other treatment providers when appropriate.
2. Provide essential expertise and consultation to the clinical teams to promote a culture in
which each individual’s point of view and preferences are recognized, understood, respected
and integrated into treatment, rehabilitation, and community self-help activities.
3. Provide information regarding observations of and interactions with individuals.
4. Participates in the monitoring and documentation of the progress of individuals.
5. Completes incident/accident reports when necessary.
D). Assists consumers to develop self-advocacy, communication and empowerment skills.
1. Accompany individuals to meetings and participate in meetings of community groups to advocate for individual needs.
2. Fosters the individual's development of healthy relationships by encouraging participation in community activities.
3. Observes behavior and evidence of general well-being and discusses observations with the individual.
4. Assists each individual to meet needs. May access services, locate social activities, or provide community support services as needed.
5. Assist individuals with filing complaints by finding resources, advising the individual of processes, and encouraging follow through with proposed resolutions, as needed.
6. Prepares and supports members and family members/caregivers at staffing meetings and at a variety of other member centered activities (e.g. interviews, application process for housing, etc.).
E). Provide peer support services to individuals supported through program.
1. Assists person supported in determining personal goals for recovery.
2. Meets with individual members to provide advice and support in accordance with the treatment plan.
3. Assists in peer support groups with members on a regular basis.
4. Assists designated clinical staff with their counseling approaches for members.
5. Supports/assists individuals in daily decision making and resolution of minor problems.
F). Perform other job duties as assigned.
Ability to travel statewide as needed. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing. Able to present operational information to personnel at all levels. Able to identify and recruit potential funding sources.
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Work is performed in structured environments.
Reports to and directly supervised by the Clinic Director. Employee is also accountable for understanding and complying with CPLC policies and procedures.