Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sous Chef - Buffet - Full Time
at Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino Resort
Establishesleadership, direction and accountability for all lead and line level employeesin respective culinary areas.
- Responsible forinterviewing, training, and selecting employees for the department
- Under thedirection of the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef maintains consistency andquality for all food items in respective areas
- Ensures menu developmenttimelines are met
- Directs andmanages leads and line level employees to achieve budgetary, food quality andcustomer service expectations
- Ensurescomprehensive training and exposure in the expected areas of competency
- Provides Lead andLine level support and coverage during vacations or staffing gaps.
- Conducts Performance Reviews in accordance with policies and procedures
- Provides feedback; coaching and development guidance as needed.
- Responds to and handles employee complaints (grievances) in a timely and efficient manner.
- Recommends or takes appropriate action when administering disciplinary processes in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Responsible for planning, supervising and monitoring the work of the team members in assigned area(s).
- Assists in ensuring schedules are complete based on a forecast and allowable productivity standards.
- Ensure schedules are posted at the established time and are fair and consistent.
- Approves vacation requests, floater requests and communicates information to appropriate team members.
- Ensures a daily sanitation checklist and temperature log report is completed for each area by their direct reports.
- Conducts random health inspections and health card audit.
- Proactively instructs team members regarding safe food handling and sanitation.
- Expected to spend 80% of the day on the floor and 20% of the day on administrative duties.
- Required to see direct reports daily, to meet twice a quarter with direct reports and conduct one on one meetings.
- Responsible for mentoring, coaching and, if necessary, provide documentation on direct reports and staff according to the CET Standard Operating Procedures.
- Required to complete and/or ensure the completion of 90 day and annual reviews in a timely manner.
- Ensures their areas are in alignment and adhering to CET Culinary Standard Operating Procedures.
- Must educate and hold direct reports accountable to each standard.
- Held accountable for ensuring their areas are utilizing the following CET SOP Tools: Prep Recipe Cards, Presentation Recipe Cards, Recipe Implementation Log, Production Sheets, Theoretical Food Cost Report, Daily Gross Food Cost Report, Menu Manuals, Plating Service Guides, Glossary of Food Terms, Master Food Product List, Line Station Diagrams and Daily Culinary Performance Measurement Reports.
- Must review menus and seek approval from the Executive Chef.
- Responsible for conducting department interviews and selecting top talent for your department(s).
- Educationalseminars, classes or workshops must be scheduled and conducted regularly toensure the team is abreast of current trends and food styles.
- Responsible formonitoring legal compliance with federal, state and gaming laws.
- Menus are to bewritten with the customer demographic in mind.
- Required toensure measurement reports are done as described and all tools are updated andin proper order.
- Assists in thetraining of front of the house and heart of the house staff during new menurollouts
- Must have aprofessional appearance and conduct themselves as a professional at alltimes.
- Required toconduct daily Buzz sessions
- Reviews, analyzesand makes recommendations with respect to wage increases, promotions, ordemotions as needed.
- Ensures anattendance log is kept for each employee in his or her area of functionaloversight.
- Ensures allovertime is anticipated and/or justified.
- Maintains a fileof all Health Inspection Reports.
- Required toutilize property and CET training and development tools.
- Responsible indeveloping the team
- Other duties asassigned
- Adegree or certification from an accredited culinary arts institute, orapprenticeship certification from the American Culinary Federation or theequivalent years experience as a Professional Chef for a hotel, resort or chainconcept restaurant corporation is required.
- Experience must include room service,continental cuisine, high volume three meal/coffee shop, steakhouse andItalian.
- Musthave been exposed and/or experienced enough to have strong working knowledge ofAsian, Mexican, Southern, Italian, Cajun, Continental, Seafood and East Coastcuisines.
The requirements listed arerepresentative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to fulfill theobligations of this position.
- Mustbe able to communicate effectively through written policy, memorandum, E-mailand verbally communicate through public speaking and one on one.
- Mustbe proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel (required) and AS/400 Stratton/Warrensystem (preferred).
- Musthave an established reputation of being a dynamic and team-oriented leader witha proven ability to manage multiple priorities, inspire and elevate anindividual or a team's performance.
- Mustbe extremely guest and employee focused. Successful completion of Superlap is required.
- Inaddition, it is recommended that all internal candidates complete the ExploringSupervisor Opportunities (ESO) readiness activities.
- Ability touphold and demonstrate the highest level of integrity in all situations andrecognize standards required by a regulated business
- Musthave an expert working knowledge and be highly proficient and skilled in thefollowing: Food Storage andIdentification; Food Cooling and Thawing; Food Re-thermalization; Managing andExpediting Orders; Recipe Formulization and Yield; Knife Handling andSharpening; Stock, Soup and Sauce Production; Dry, Moist and CombinationCooking; Pantry, Garde Manger Preparation; Weights and Measures.
The physical demandsdescribed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee tosuccessfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made toenable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able tobe on feet twelve hours per day
- Must be able to withstandfrequent changes in temperature.
- Must be able tobend, stoop, reach, crouch, kneel, push and pull.
- Must be able tolift 70 pounds above or below shoulders
- Must be able to pushor pull weights of 125 pounds on a cart.
- Must be able to tolerate chemicals for cleaningand sanitizing kitchen areas.
- Must be able to work in an area which containssecond hand smoke
- Must be flexible with schedule
- Must be able to maneuver to all areas of thekitchen and outlets
- Must have visual acuity
- Must have manual dexterity to work with kitchenutensils and equipment
Preference is given to Ak-Chin community members and members ofother recognized Arizona tribes.
This isnot necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties,requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job,management reserves the right to revise the current job or to require thatother or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, (e.g.emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technicaldevelopments).