J.O. Combs Unified School District
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at J.O. Combs Unified School District
Position Goal: The job of School Nurse is done for the purpose/s of overseeing the individual health needs of students; implementing health care plans directed by physicians; ensuring district health care practices comply with the laws relating to student health issues; providing appropriate immediate care for ill, medically fragile, and/or injured students; and serving as a health care resource to teachers, staff, and administrators; conducting mandated health screenings and identifying health problems for referral to appropriate parties for proper follow up treatment.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Current Arizona Nursing License
- General clerical skills with computer data entry experience preferred
- Certification in CPR (health care provider) required
- Ability to relate to all classifications of school employees
- Ability to communicate well with teachers, parents, students, counselors, and general public
- Knowledge and use of general office machines and equipment
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and make sound judgments and decisions in a wide variety of situations under pressure
- Knowledge of medical technology as related to specific job functions
- Knowledge of school practices and procedures; public school experience preferred
- Willing to obtain School Nurse Certification upon hire
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Administers first aid, medication and specialized medical treatment for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile, and/or injured children.
- Assesses situations involving students safety, abuse (physical, sexual, drug) and other health related issues for the purpose of identifying problems, referring for proper treatment and complying with legal requirements.
- Assists other personnel for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Assists with developing and maintaining support materials, user manuals, and other documents.
- Collaborates with parents, students, health care providers, and/or other agencies for the purpose of promoting needed treatment, securing information and complying with legal requirements.
- Conducts programs and/or activities (e.g. health screening, health education, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring compliance with government mandated requirements.
- Develops health care plans for the purpose of addressing students’ health needs and implementing health care directions from parents and/or physicians.
- Directs department functions for the purpose of prioritizing project deadlines and ensuring optimal utilization of personnel.
- Implements school health care plans for the purpose of providing appropriate care.
- Maintains confidentiality of students and student records at all times.
- Maintains contact with parent/guardian for the purpose of alerting them to any changes in students health and/or referring students for further medical/emotional intervention as needed.
- Maintains health care plans, medical emergency cards, records (e.g. mandated screening, etc.) for the purpose of providing information required by legal and professional standards.
- Participates in a variety of meetings, workshops, and seminars, including IEP, for the purpose of sharing information and/or improving skills/knowledge.
- Performs home visits and/or hospital visits for the purpose of verifying student status.
- Practices universal precautions to ensure optimal communicable disease control in the school setting.
- Prepares a wide variety of written materials (e.g. quantity reports, student activities, correspondence, internal audits, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
- Provides training on a variety of health related subjects (e.g. disaster preparedness, child abuse, health education, etc.) for the purpose of acting as a resource to students, teachers, and other school personnel.
- Refers students requiring further medical attention for the purpose of providing needed medical/dental treatment, counseling, etc.
- Reports incidents (e.g. fights, suspected child abuse, suspected substance abuse, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining student’s personal safety, a positive learning environment and adhering to Education Code, district and/or school policies.
- Reports students with contagious diseases to local public health authorities for the purpose of minimizing infection and complying with the law.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
LANGUAGE SKILLS:Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, parents, and staff.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and taste or smell.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Salary Schedule: Certificated Non-Teaching Salary Placement
Benefits: Per District Policy
Contract: 9 Months, 198 Days
Reports to: Principal or District Nurse
FLSA Status: Exempt
The J.O. Combs Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs or activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries may be directed to the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA Title II Coordinator at 301 E. Combs Rd., San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 or (480) 987-5300.
El Distrito Escolar Unificado de J.O. Combs no discrimina basada por la raza, el color, el origen nacional, el sexo, la discapacidad o la edad de una persona en sus programas o actividades y proporciona igual acceso a los Boy Scouts y otros grupos juveniles designados. Las consultas pueden dirigirse al coordinador del Título IX o al coordinador del Título II de la Sección 504 / ADA en 301 E. Combs Rd., San Tan Valley, AZ 85140 o (480) 987-5300.
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:00 AM
(Pacific Standard Time)