The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Facility: CENTRAL ARIZONA CORRECTIONAL FACILITY
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Initiates and provides comprehensive nursing care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the requirements of operational security.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs a complete physical assessment and medical history as required on each detainee/inmate entering the correctional system, if permitted by the client. Medical problems are referred to the physician for extended evaluation.
• Assists physician with sick call by screening patients and minor surgical procedures. Treats detainees/inmates with problems within professional capabilities and refers other medical problems to the appropriate physician.
• Ensures the implementation of physician's orders. Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics in administering medication.
• Makes observation rounds on patients, and records in progress notes. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on periodic basis, charts, and reports problems to management.
• Maintains security while administering medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees/inmates. Maintains noninvolvement in the security aspects of care.
• Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
• Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as necessary.
• Maintains compliance with industry and company policies for accreditation.
• Documents all detainee/inmate contacts. Maintains confidentiality of medical records.
• Coordinates Chronic Disease Clinic scheduling.
• Supervises the work flow of the LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) staff. Provides input into performance evaluation.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Associate’s or Bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to practice as Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located. Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all times.
• Two (2) years of direct work experience Registered Nurse preferred.
• Must possess competence in the performance of the following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies, physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing care.
• Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide appropriate follow through treatment.
• Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.