The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Recreation Therapy Activities Assistant
at The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
- Assist in activities that promote age appropriate physical, cognitive, language, social and creative development of youth and families.
- Assist in activities that enhance the development of self-esteem skills, independence and a sense of responsibility.
- Assist in activities that encourage the development of life skills such as coping with conflict, developing appropriate personal boundaries and social skills such as sharing and cooperation.
- Provide the opportunity for individuals & families to interact with an understanding and supportive staff.
- Provide assistance to Recreation Lead.
- Prepare a weekly activity and lesson plans under the supervision of the Recreation Lead.
- Maintain records of all recreation activities.
- Attend all staff meetings
Skill / Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalency required
- Six-month experience in a recreation center for youth and families preferred
- Possess ability to work with clients who are experiencing emotional crisis
- Possess ability to develop & maintain working relationships with partner agency staff members
- Possess ability to take initiative toward development and leadership of shelter recreational educational activities
- Must possess, or be eligible to receive, a fingerprint clearance card
- Must maintain First Aid/CPR certification
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.