Washington Elementary School District #6
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Office Specialist - McKinney Vento 10.5 Month
at Washington Elementary School District #6
Pay Grade: 4125
Position Control: 3507
Accountable To: Routing Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Creation/Revision Date: March 29, 2019
Under general direction, incumbent(s) designs, arranges and schedules coverage for McKinney Vento students to ensure transportation to and from school. Incumbent(s) dispatches transportation staff, monitors routes and safety concerns, and ensures maximum efficiency. In addition, incumbent(s) serves as a backup van driver and maintains accuracy for McKinney Vento information.
- Coordinates and schedules coverage for McKinney-Vento routes by receiving transportation requests, determining transportation requirements to accommodate special needs students, communicating applicable information to Transportation staff, school personnel, parents and the community, and ensuring schedules and proper staffing maximize efficiency.
- Dispatches and maintains communication with drivers.
- Reschedules routes and/or sends replacement vehicle when necessary.
- Maintains list of available fleet vehicles for use.
- Serves as backup van or alternative driver when routes cannot be covered by a substitute.
- Determines accurate transportation requirements to accommodate McKinney-Vento students.
- Prepares routes and maps for drivers to follow providing left, right turns and scheduled times utilizing routing transportation software.
- Monitors routes for accuracy and make necessary revisions to ensure route efficiency and safety. Tracks driver location using GPS to provide redirection in emergency situations.
- Supports appropriate student management in all transportation vehicles according to state law and District policy.
- Keeps records of student misconduct and prepares behavior incident documentation when appropriate.
- Collaborates with principals and parents when behavior becomes an on-going problem. Reacts professionally to emergency situations.
- Investigates and resolves questions and areas of concern from staff, parents and general public related to McKinney Vento transportation.
- Identifies sensitive issues and brings them to the immediate attention of the Routing Supervisor.
- Communicates and meets regularly with McKinney-Vento Homeless Liaison and applicable staff to arrange and set up transportation in a confidential and effective manner.
- Contracts student transportation with outside vendor when transportation cannot be performed by District vans or school buses.
- Participates in McKinney-Vento Program planning related to transportation issues with District Homeless Liaison. Attends McKinney-Vento related meetings at District, county and state level when necessary.
- Maintains and organizes McKinney Vento student records, daily attendance and miles for state and sub-grant reporting requirements.
- Identifies and moves inactive student files to archives. Maintains archive files for District records and audits.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired;
- One year of office experience;
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License prior to hire.
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
- Associate’s degree in business or related field;
- Two years of school district experience;
- Five years of transportation experience.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Demonstrating organizational and time management skills;
- Demonstrating the ability to prioritize, problem solve and effective decision-making skills;
- Understanding route planning principles
- Knowing state and federal rules, regulations and guidelines and district policies governing the transportation of students;
- Practicing defensive driving methods;
- Knowing school locations;
- Transporting students safely;
- Planning van routes ensuring efficient and effective use of resources;
- Reading and interpreting maps;
- Evaluating and responding to emergency breakdowns and situations;
- Engaging in conflict resolution;
- Maintaining confidentiality of information regarding students, staff, parents and community;
- Performing responsibilities in an ethical and professional manner;
- Demonstrating effective verbal and written communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
- Building and maintaining positive relationships with students staff and parents;
- Utilizing interpersonal skills to remain calm in conflict resolution process
- Using computer software related programs;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Tuesday, April 2, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)