Washington Elementary School District #6
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sign Language Interpreter
at Washington Elementary School District #6
CLASS SUMMARY: Under general direction, incumbent(s) provides consecutive sign language and oral interpretation services between students and teachers for educational purposes.
Provides consecutive sign language and oral interpretation services between teachers and student(s) with deaf and hearing impairments for educational purposes to include classroom instruction, conferences, and other school-related activities.
Assists the teacher with instruction, assessment and discipline to student(s) by providing sign language and oral interpretation. Uses other materials to supplement interpretation. Becomes familiar with lesson plans and activities.
Maintains confidentiality with student records and communication. Relays concerns to teachers, principal, or the Special Education department.
Recommends best practices and successful strategies when engaging deaf and hearing impaired students with instruction and other school-related activities. Participates in IEP meetings.
Uses a variety of devices and equipment to best serve and engage the deaf and hearing impaired students.
Performs other duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. In addition, verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
· High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired;
· Completion of a sign language interpreter training program;
· Proficiency in oral communication and sign language.
It is preferred that applicant possess the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
· Two years of translating in an education related system;
· Possession of valid licensure from the Arizona Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
· Understanding education terminology;
· Knowing Federal, State, and other applicable rules and regulations;
· Understanding due process terminology;
· Knowing sign language interpretation principles and best practices;
· Demonstrating the ability to use deaf and hearing impaired devices and equipment;
· Demonstrating the ability to become aware of teachers’ lessons, discipline program, and other educational needs for the student(s);
· Communicating between staff, students, and parents;
· Operating various computer software programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel;
· Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, parents, and other stakeholders to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Wednesday, October 23, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)