Wickenburg Community Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Wickenburg Community Hospital
The Lab Manager is responsible for overall operation and administration of the laboratory, including employment of personnel who are competent to perform test procedures, and record and report test results promptly, accurately, and proficiently and for assuring compliance with applicable regulations. Responsibilities include technical supervision and scientific oversight of all specialty areas and effective, efficient utilization of physical, human and financial resources.
Essential Job Duties:
- Directs and manages the operation and administration of the laboratory department in consultation and agreement with the Chief of Ambulatory Services. This includes department planning and monitoring of progress, budget preparations, preparation and distribution of statistics and data.
- Assure compliance with applicable regulations, including enrollment and participation in HHS approved PT program.
- Ensure the physical plant and environmental conditions are appropriate for the testing performed and provide a safe environment in which employees are protected from physical, chemical and biological hazards.
- Ensure quality test systems (preanalytic, analytic and postanalytic), quality control and quality assessment programs are established and maintained to assure the quality of services provided and to identify failures in quality.
- Employ a sufficient number of qualified laboratory personnel with appropriate education, experience, training and demonstrated competency to provide consultation, supervision and performance of tests and reporting of results.
- Performs specimen collection and processing with proficiency for all areas of the laboratory to include but not limited to Chemistry, Blood Bank, Urology, Microbiology, Coagulation, Hematology to include, test performance, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results in accordance with lab policies and procedures.
- Implements, maintains and administers the laboratory information system, ensuring test results include pertinent information required for interpretation as well as maintaining the timely and proper distribution of all lab results.
- Ensure availability of approved policies and procedures for all aspects of test performance.
- Provide technical and scientific oversight of the laboratory and be available to provide on-site, telephone, or electronic assistance.
- Selection of appropriate test methodology
- Verification of test procedures and establishment of performance characteristics, including accuracy, precision, and other pertinent performance characteristics.
- Establish a QC program ensuring acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained throughout the testing process.
- Resolve technical problems and ensure remedial actions prior to reporting patient results.
- Identify training needs and assure each individual performing tests receives regular in-service training and education appropriate to testing performed.
- Evaluate the competency of all testing personnel and assure staff maintain competency to perform tests and report results promptly, accurately and proficiently.
- Supervise laboratory personnel, including maintenance of current job descriptions, orientation, evaluations, feedback and continuing education.
- Provides leadership, mentoring, training to the laboratory staff following the servant leadership model.
- Participates in required organizational meetings and committees. Contributing when required; statistics and data.
- Provides follow-up and positive solutions to quality, provider and patient concerns.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology (Clinical Laboratory Science), Biology or Chemistry with MT/MLS/CLS certification by an accepted certifying board
- Qualify as Technical Supervisor high complexity testing under CLIA qualification standards
- 4 years of continuous experience in high complexity testing (BS degree), or
- 2 years of continuous experience in high complexity testing (MS degree)
- 7 years’ experience in direct laboratory management.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
Physical Demands: Standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, push/pull, kneel/crouch/crawl, reach with hands/arms; lift up to 10 lbs frequently and up to 100 pounds or more with assistance infrequently; close and color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus required; repetitive hand motions, grasping and fine dexterity required
Work Environment: work near/with moving mechanical parts, toxic/caustic chemicals, extreme cold (non-weather, i.e. dry ice), and loud noise
Please click on the link below to apply for the position